Easy Buffalo Chicken and Broccoli Bowls
My husband loves buffalo anything so I'm always trying to think of ways to include it in our weekly meal plan. I came up with this recipe mainly because we had broccoli in our fridge that was about to bad. I like keeping our weekday meals super easy because I find it motivates us to eat at home more which is both better for our health and our wallets. This recipe works great for a weekday lunch or a dinner.
Lately, I've been on a broccoli kick. I'm talking we eat 2 crowns in a week at casa de Regan. Why the new found love of the little green tree? Here's why:
Its high in fiber which most Americans simply are not getting enough of in their daily diet
It has cancer fighting components such as sulforaphane which can inhibit the enzyme histone deacetylase. This enzyme is known to be involved in the progression of cancer cells.
Broccoli is a high folate Food. The vitamin is well known for its benefits for prenatal women and their babies but it also has been found to reduce the breast cancer risk for women. My Mom is a breast cancer survivor so I'm always on the hunt for ways to reduce my risk.
1 cup of broccoli gives you 100% of your daily need for vitamin K which helps with bone health by improving calcium absorption. Oh yeah, broccoli contains 43 mg of calcium too. Two birds one little tree ya feel me?
Need more Vitamin C? Broccoli has got you cover with 81 milligrams for one cup. That is more than your daily recommended intake and ladies vitamin C helps keep us looking hot for years to come by helping to form collagen therefore keeping the elasticity of our skin.
Those are just a few reasons I'm feeling broccoli lately. Now onto the recipe.
BUFFALO CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI RECIPE:
- 1 cup of quinoa or cauliflower rice whichever you have on hand
- 1 lb of chicken cut into pieces any cut it fine but I usually use breast just because that's what we keep in our freezer
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large crowns of broccoli cut into florets
- 1/4 cup of hot sauce
- 2 tbsp of butter
- Prep your quinoa or rice accordingly
- For the sauce, heat pan with lid over medium high heat.
- Add oil and when it starts to sizzle add the chicken pieces
- Season with salt and allow to cook until chicken is golden brown. Move the meat around in the pan so all sides are equally golden
- Add broccoli once chicken is fully cooked and cover with lid
- Allow to steam 5 to 10 minutes. I like to keep the broccoli a little crunchy to add texture to the dish and to maintain as many nutrients as possible
- In a small pan, melt 2 tbsp of butter with hot sauce and whisk to combine.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat
- To serve place the rice in bowl and then pour on the broccoli and chicken.